Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join
AEA Search
Featured Members
BALA PRASAD PEDDIGARIHyderabad Chapter Volunteer of the month!

Readers Comment on the JEA
Moderator(s): Len Fehskens
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Alive and kicking? 1 S. D'hoore Yes, the JE is still alive and kicking. See the latest issue just released last week.len.
by L. Fehskens
Sunday, June 14, 2015
Professionalization of Enterprise Architecture 0 S. Gopinath An article on professionalization of EA by Jason Uppal in Nov 2013 edition of EA journal got me thinking about a similar efforts else where.  Some colleges like Penn State University are offering professional Master's degree in EA. I think it is a great way to attract talents from Industry and develop EA BoK - which in turn will help in professionalization of EA. Any thoughts anyone?
by S. Gopinath
Monday, April 21, 2014
JEA Articles Hit a Homerun! 0 S. Steffan This overall issue was very informative.  The first article "Architecture Expeditions: A Difference that Make a Difference" by Leo Laverdure and Alex Conn, PhD. and "A Blueprint for Professionalization of Enterprise Architecture" by Jason Uppal, hit home.  Our internal IT organization posted a CMM value of 1.2, barely above chaotic, when recently reviewed by an external entity.  Engaging our and any culture, even when healing techniques are trying to be applied, are always met with resistance.  I have always stipulated that architecture concepts be applied incrementally and very pragmatically and presented a formal model and process to generate a basis for undertaking change within an organization.  Every little bit helps, when you are at the bottom.The article "The PRISM Architecture Framework - Was it the Very First Enterprise Architecture Framework?" by Roberto Rivera allowed me to reflect on the brief history of Enterprise Architecture and its utilities.  Basically we haven't come very far, but still have along way to go, but reflecting on this history is important since EA stems from PRISM's past achievements and understanding those are insightful.I referenced the article "The Dutch State of the Practice of Architecture Principles" by Danny Greefhorst, Henderik Proper, Georgios Plataniotis and used the data and quoted statements about principles in the creation of our organization's Enterprise Architecture Portfolio Plan to emphasize the need for formality.  I am planning to purchase the book they authored and incorporate its finding in my continuing efforts.The article "Beyond Alignment: Applying Systems Thinking in Architecting Enterprise" by Richard Veryard was very helpful since I am not required to read a large book, when I have limited time, but I caught the gist and overall intent of this periodical.Thank you for your efforts and information,Scott J. Steffan, Enterprise Architect/TOGAF, EACOE"Alone in the darkness comes the voice of reason and understanding"
by S. Steffan
Sunday, February 9, 2014
Article on EA and ROI 1 R. Kashyap I would suggest a slightly wider perspective - a special issue on Enterprise Architecture and Finance - modelling and measuring Return-on-Investment on a whole range of corporate activities, including EA, would be a small topic within that. It has always struck me as rather odd that a discipline which declares itself to be in the business of producing authoritative models of the business woefully neglects the production of financial models. Is not the financial structure of the enterprise a part of the "business architecture"? Are not funds flows an important dynamical aspect of the enterprise? Are not the structures and dynamics of budgets and capital allocations an important determinant on enterprise change? And programmes and projects? Enterprise Architecture that fails to model the financial aspects of the enterprise cannot be real Enterprise Architecture. A subtopic of EA and Finance would be the use of Real Options techniques for planning enterprise evolution. 
by I. Glossop
Thursday, January 30, 2014
A Plain English Introduction to EA -- Peter Murchland 1 Leonard Fehskens These words rang true to me! I've thought for a long time that (some) enterprise architects seem to be trying to gain credibility by layering on the technical jargon, borrowed it seems from engineering and computer science, to disguise the fact that what we do is often common sense.  We should embrace that fact, not hide it. I even had one irate attendee at a conference rise up in high dudgeon and accuse me of peddling "nothing more than good systems engineering."  Well, yes.So, keep on keeping on with the clear language and clear purpose! Kathie Sowell
by K. Sowell
Friday, October 11, 2013
Core Knowledge for EA -- Eskil Swende 2 Leonard Fehskens M. Paddock said:The article states that "One activity belongs to only one business process." I feel that this is not correct - an example - Amazon will have an activity of placing an item on a shelf in a warehouse - wouldn't this be used by both the "new stock" business process, and the "returned item" business process?Yes, you are quite right! But in our terminology we say that we have two activities that just now are identical. Our defintion of this is that it is the same "routine" used for one or many actvities.The reason behind this is that you keep the freedom to change an activity in a process without affecting other processes. I hope you find the rest of the article useful!Best regards. Eskil 
by E. Swende
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
Dotting the Joins : The Adverse Effects of Specialization -- Tom Graves 1 Leonard Fehskens I thoroughly enjoyed reading Dotting The Joins! Tom is telling it as it without pulling punches. Why don't we all do it OR am I in danger of falling into the sameness that we should all try to avoid?
by B. Muyutu
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Using the Component Factory Business Model ... -- Jeff Scott 2 Leonard Fehskens We used a very similar concept to develop reusable APIs  for existing systems some of which were developed in house and some that were purchased. After we had built around ten interfaces, the model we put in place was: pay us to build the APIs and current API extensions you need, and we will provide previously built APIs for free. Under this model we built 165 APIs that were reused 726 times.  This model helped us open up legacy systems to the internet and distributed computing in general. It also promoted our master data management strategy of data being owned by one and only one application. If you have a great funding model, you really don’t need governance. When you offer a valuable service at the right price – people will want to buy it.
by J. Scott
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
EA: A Courageous Venture -- Chris Potts 0 Leonard Fehskens Discuss Chris Potts' article "Enterprise Architecture: A Courageous Venture".
by Leonard Fehskens
Monday, August 12, 2013
Producing EA Content that Counts -- Sally Bean 0 Leonard Fehskens Discuss Sally Bean's article "Producing Enterprise Architecture Content that Counts".
by Leonard Fehskens
Monday, August 12, 2013
EAST Meeting Report -- Richard Veryard 0 Leonard Fehskens Discuss Richard Veryard's "EAST Meeting Report".
by Leonard Fehskens
Monday, August 12, 2013
Sign In
Login with LinkedIn
OR

Latest News
AEA Events

4/29/2019 » 5/2/2019
Two-for-one Special * TOGAF® 9.2 * Confirmed April 29 Course

4/29/2019 » 5/2/2019
The Open Group | Digital in Practice, Dublin, Ireland

4/30/2019 » 5/1/2019
IRM UK | Business Analysis Agility

5/13/2019 » 5/16/2019
IRM UK | Data Governance Conference co-located with Master Data Management Summit Europe 2019

5/15/2019
AEA Webinar with Neil Rerup | Practical Discussion on Developing an Enterprise Architecture Practice

Join our AEA LinkedIn Group!

This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.